Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Link Dump

Here are some interesting links I found in the last week:

1. Pink is awesome.

2. This Scottish researcher thinks that "Strong Silence," a new kind of quiet time, is the key to improved behavior, focus and concentration in schools:
‘Weak silence’ has been used in the classroom for a long time, but traditionally this weak form harnesses silence as an oppressive tool, whereby children are punished or controlled through the process of enforced noise cessation.”
Instead, she advocates techniques such as meditation, mindfulness, pausing, silent reading, silent moments, and quiet spaces.
She claims new “quiet rooms” could be seen in schools in the next five to ten years and it is even possible the same principles could be applied in prisons to try and calm inmates and young offenders.
3. Laughing at Chaos shares some thoughts on parental self-care. This one really resonated with me, because you hear all the time about the importance of self-care, but nobody tells you how to do it or where it's supposed to fit on your schedule. This writer includes a good list of self-care practices, but does it with a sense of humor:
“You can’t pour from an empty cup.” “Adjust your air mask before helping others.” It is easy to tell a parent that she must care for herself first, but insanely difficult to be that parent when you know what you’re up againstI was doing so well caring for myself, and then we moved. And then school got ugly for A. And then I homeschooled. And then my husband took a new job. And then the stress of the previous three years plus a bunch of other crap smothered me like old laundry until I saw my breaking point (it was ugly and scary), and I finally saw my doctor to ask for help (family, please do not call, I am fine). I’ve had insanely low blood pressure my whole life; seeing numbers that are technically pre-hypertension was not good for my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment